Conquer the summit of the northern Sallatunturi fell! There is access to the summit of Sallatunturi fell in both summer and winter time. Many have climbed on the fells to view the midnight sun or the northern lights. From the lookout tower, located on the summit of the fell, is an unobstructed view in all directions, making it easy to spot the various sites; can you find the church in the style of a traditional Lappish hut in the village of Salla, the mysterious Aatsinginhauta gorge valley, or the former Sallatunturi fell on the Russian side of the border?
To be considered:
- The trail is classified as demanding; there are steep climbs on the route
- The start of the trail is marked with red markings (UKK route) and the latter part when climbing the Sallatunturi fell has blue markings
- Be sure to pay attention to the route intersections
- There are no camp fire place on the route
- In winter accessible with snowshoes.
Breathe the cleanest air in the world*
*Based on the research of Värriö Subarctic Research Station in Salla (Helsinki University)
- Choose the trail according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance