The trail goes round the beautiful Lake Pieni Koirajärvi. It is a circle route with lake views, duck trails and forest paths. If you start from Koirasalmi information hut and go anti-clockwise, you will find also a large rock / boulder field. There is no resting points by the route, but in Koirasalmi you will find the services of Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut(kiosk, accommodation, sauna, shower), campfire shelter and a well at Koirasalmi, campfire places of Hiiliniemi and Pahkahongankangas. The route is marked with white paint markings.
In the beginning of the rout (anti-clockwise from Koirasalmi information hut) the boulder field might be very slippery and challenging when wet / rainy weather. There is also a path / road at your use, also marked in the map.
Equipment and Safety
Even though there are no great differences in altitude, the rocky terrain is quite difficult at some places. It is wise to wear sturdy shoes with rigid soles, which also support the ankles. In the spring, when the snow melts, water rises on the duckboards. During this time, you will need to wear rubber boots.
Please note that there is no paper in the toilets.
Please note, that lighting campfires is forbidden also at the campfire places if the forest fire warning is in effect.
If you face an emergency on your hike, e.g. get lost, get injured or observe wildfire, call 112 and report an emergency. More information on how to act in an emergency. Make sure you pack a first-aid kit.
Hiking in Finland
In the Salamanperä Strict Nature Reserve it is only allowed to move on the marked trails. In the National Park, the following are
- Walking, skiing, row boating and canoeing, except in the restricted area. Mountain biking according to everyman's rights except in the restricted area. Always stay on clearly visible tracks and pay attention to other hikers.
- Picking berries and edible mushrooms
- Hook and line fishing and ice fishing, except in Koirajärvi lakes. Fishers need to check the restrictions on fishing sites at kalastusrajoitus.fi (In Finnish).
- Campfire is only allowed at sites marked for this purpose. When forest fire warning is in effect, fire may only be lit in the fireplaces of the huts.
Camping out temporarily is allowed in the camping sites indicated, and in the vicinity of campfire sites and shelters.
A destination-specific permit is needed for fishing in Koirajärvi angling permit area.
- Lighting campfires if the forest fire warning is in effect
- Making open fires is always prohibited at both marked campfire sites and when fires are permitted by the land owner if a forest fire warning has been issued for the area (ilmatieteenlaitos.fi).
- Pets running at large
- Taking or damaging trees, bushes, other plants or their parts, or mushrooms other than edible ones
- Damaging soil or rock, and extraction of earth material or minerals
- Killing, catching or disturbing wild animals, or damaging their nests
- Driving motor vehicles, except on roads designated for motor vehicles
- Leaving waste in the area, or damaging constructions
Getting thereFrom Perho: Drive roat 13 in direction Jyväskylä about 6 km from Perho centre. In Möttönen, turn left to road 6520 (Kivijärventie). Drive about 10,5 km, and turn left to Sysilammentie Road (sign to Salamajärvi National Park). Drive this gravel road 2,8 km, turn right to Koirasalmentie Road. Continue about 7 km, and you will reach the Koirasalmi Information Hut.
ParkingParking area in Koirasalmi (Information Hut, starting point).
- 5 Waypoints
- 5 Waypoints