Breakfast with a view
Spend the night at over 1.000 m and enjoy an unforgettable sunset! Reservation required.
Beware of dangerous midday heat!
Since most of the hiking route options to and from the hut are exposed to the sun, chose your start time accordingly and beware of hiking in the midday heat. Make sure to take enough water for all hikers in your group. Use sunscreen and cover your head.
Tips and hints
Stop - off points: Peter-Wiechenthaler Hut, Steinalm Hut
Drive on the Pinzgauer federal highway B311 from Saalfelden in the direction of Lofer. The company Forstinger will show up on your lefthand side, after about 50m take a turn right into the road "Pabing". Follow the road for about 1.5 km until you reach the Bachwinkl car park. The hiking tour starts here.
ParkingParking is possible at the Bachwinkl parking lot in Saalfelden. The tour starts from here.
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Equipmentalpine boots, backpack, hiking map, water, hiking poles
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.