The Lindemannsruhe hiking car park is the starting, middle and end point of the Ganerben Trail. It leads along natural forest paths, i.e. narrow paths, first roughly northwards past the Kanapée, the Suppenschüssel and the Krumholzerstuhl to the Palatine Forest Club hut by the mystical Ungeheuersee and then along a section of the same route as the long-distance Palatinate Wine Trail ("Pfälzer Weinsteig"), back to the vicinity of Lindemannsruhe, and from there in a second bend to the south of Lindemannsruhe to the Heidenfels, the Gayersbrunnen and Bismarck Tower.
According to old German inheritance law, a "Ganerbschaft" was a joint family estate, mainly land, over which the heirs only had rights in common. "Gan" meant "common" in Old High German. The Ganerben forest district combines the forest holdings of various communities for the purpose of joint management and marketing.
At a total of 15 points along the trail, we provide you with information on the natural monuments and interesting facts about the Palatinate Forest in the form of video and audio sequences. The links to the information are marked as "station" and incorporated in the trail description.
The Ganerben Trail itself and its audiovisual content were created as part of a project by LAG Rhein-Haardt and were promoted in the development programme EULLE with the involvement of the European Union and the federal state of Rhineland-Palatinate, represented by the Rhineland-Palatinate Ministry of Economy, Transport, Agriculture and Viticulture.
Rest StopForsthaus Lindemannsruhe - Waldgaststätte
Weisenheimer Hütte am Ungeheuersee
Tips and hintsRest stops:
Lindemannsruhe forester's lodge
Wednesday–Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Palatinate Forest Club hut at Ungeheuersee
Mid-March to mid-November: Sun and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mid-May to end of October: including on Wed from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Kiosk at Bismarck Tower
Beginning of May until end of October: Wed, Sat, Sun and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Beginning of November until end of April: Sun from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Freinsheim holiday region, i-Punkt Kallstadt
Tel.: +49 (0)6322- 667838
Getting thereFrom Bad Dürkheim: At the Wurstmarkt roundabout take the exit towards Leistadt. At the roundabout at the entrance to Leistadt, take the 3rd exit towards Höningen on the L518 to the Lindemannsruhe car park.
From the German Wine Route (B 271): In the centre of Kallstadt at the church towards Leistadt. At the roundabout at the entrance to Leistadt, take the 2nd exit towards Höningen on the L518 to the Lindemannsruhe car park.
ParkingLindemannsruhe hiking car park
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.