The most popular hiking tour in Oulanka National Park with biggest amount of visitors. A beautiful, scenic trail with gushing rapids, the steep cliffs and the sheltered forests.
On the hiking tour you cross large river with hanging bridge, walk in varied, beautiful lappish nature, and pass many campfire places, huts and rest areas. After few kilometers you meet the ashtonishing Jyrävä waterfall in a canyon surroundings. Absolutely beautiful hike, where you can stop for barbeque few times and even spend a night in open wilderness hut if you like.
Pieni Karhunkierros is marked with green paint signs on trees along the trail. This trail is a good day hike for those in good shape and have basic hiking skills. See more details in Oulanka National Park web pages.
Places to have a break:
- Myllykoski day trip hut, a beautiful old mill located on the shore of the River Kitkajoki.
- Siilastupa open wilderness hut, located on the shore of the River Kitkajoki with a great view to Jyrävä rapid.
- Harrisuvanto lean-to shelter on the north end of the hanging bridge
- Lake Pyöreälampi campfire site
Notice! Pieni Karhunkierros is a hiking trail. Cyckling is not allowed in any season of the year.
Bring enough water, food and warm clothes as the trail is time consuming.
Instructions and rules for visiting Oulanka National Park in nationalparks.fi.
Tips and hints
Because of a steep ascent, there are steps to Kallioportti, and therefore the direction of the trail varies according to the season:
- Hike this trail clockwise when the ground is unfrozen (descending the steps is easier than ascending): Myllykoski - Kallioportti - Harrisuvanto - Jyrävä - Juuma.
- Hike this trail anti-clockwise in snowy conditions (ascending the steps is easier than descending): Juuma - Jyrävä - Harrisuvanto - Kallioportti - Myllykoski - Juuma.
See more details of Pieni Karhunkierros Trail in nationalparks.fi.
Starting points for Pieni Karhunkierros Trail are in Juuma village, in Retkietappi cafeteria parking area (address: Juumantie 134, Kuusamo, see in Google Maps) and Basecamp Oulanka (Myllykoskentie 30, Kuusamo). See more information in nationalparks.fi.
Closest village is Juuma, and distance from Ruka Ski Resort is 24 km.