Hauktjern is a nice small lake in Østmarka with a ridge running along the side that has some unusual rock formations.
Getting to Hauktjern is a nice hike from Ulsrud metro station and into Østmarka. Most of the hike is along a gravel road, so it is not very hard to do.
In the summertime you can expect to see lots of climbers along Hauktjern as the place has numerous options for climbing.
- If it's a sunny day, bring swimming gear.
- Bring camping gear if you'd like to camp around the lake
- This is one of Oslo's most popular places to rock climb. You will find many rock faces around Hauktjern ready to be climbed.
Tips and hints
- There is an outhouse toilet down at Ulsrudvannet
- Take the eastbound T-bane line 3 (Mortensrud) to the "Ulsrud" stop. The trailhead begins here.
- Alternatively, you can park at Ulsrudvannet which offers free parking for 48 hours.