Enter the land of trolls and Norwegian fairy tales as you hike through the heather-covered landscape of the Rondane national park with its small, gurgling streams and tall, rugged mountains. From the renowned sour cream waffles of Putten Seter to Smuksjøseter situated by the shimmering lake Høvringsvatnet, you’ll enjoy panoramic views on a child-friendly trail in an easy terrain.
If you are hiking the loop from Øigardseter to Putten Seter, from Putten Seter to Smuksjøseter and lastly from Smuksjøseter back to Øigardseter, there is an accommodation package called "Explore Rondane" ("Rondaneturen") which includes accommodation for three nights, three-course dinners, breakfast and packed lunch, a thermos of hot beverage, a map and luggage transportation. Contact the cabins directly for prices and more information.
- Three hundred meters from Putten seter there is a chapel called Rossbukapell, which you can visit. Four times a year - at New Year’s, Easter, Saint Olav’s Day and in the autumn - they host religious services at the chapel.
- If you wish to take on a slightly longer hike (about 1 kilometer longer), you can stop by the Peer Gynt cabin on the way to Smuksjøseter. The cabin is named after a character from the Norwegian folklore and some might recognise it from the Henrik Ibsen play by the same name. From this stone cabin you have a panoramic view of the mountains.
- For those who which to include another peak with a great view to the hike, you can climb up Formokampen on the way to Smuksjøseter.
- In the winter you can follow the trail on skis.
Tips and hints
- For those who like fishing there are fishing possibilities at the lake Høvringsvatnet next to Smuksjøseter.
While driving along the main road E6 in the Gudbrandsdalen valley look for the sign to Høvringen about a 15-minute drive north of Otta. From the main road, there is a six kilometer drive up to a fork in the road just before you reach Høvringen. Bear right at this junction and after 1.5 kilometers look for a sign to Putten Seter on the right side of the road.
After turning off to the right you get to the toll booth for driving the road to Putten Seter. Follow this road for five kilometers until you reach Putten Seter.
Take the train from Oslo or Trondheim to Otta. From Otta there is a local bus going up to Høvringen. Note that this bus does not go all the way to Putten Seter so you either need to hike your way to Putten Seter from Høvringen or ask for private transport.
Book recommendations for this region: