This is a 5 mile, circular, walk around York, using the city wall for the majority of the route.
Distance 7.7 km
This route starts at Clifford Tower and, after a short detour along the banks of the River Ouse, joins the city walls for most of the route. The walk was done in late November as part of a short break to take in the Christmas Lights and Shops. The 5 mile walk could easily be shortened, or lengthened, according to taste. This route stops off at the Treasurer's House which has a nice little cafe and also toilets. One of the less obvious tourist attractions. It also passes the Cathedral. As York is a tourist hotspot, it was great to be able to do it at a quieter time of the year, where all the attractions were a lot less busy.
SE 60488 51443
30U 626002 5980284
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view