Off path, moderately easy stream-side route along Birk Gill Beck. Back along a bridleway.
Distance 8.6 km
Off path, moderately easy stream-side route along Birk Gill. Back along a bridleway. There are a few options to join Birk Gill initially - we made our way down via Brown Beck. Some stream hopping is needed to pick the easiest routes, achieved either by a good leap at the narrower points, or a careful crossing on wet rock. There is a little gentle scrambling here and there but this can mostly be avoided, and there are pretty good animal tracks for most of the way. Watch out for a natural hanging garden and an impressively wide waterfall (passed by a track on the right). We saw deer, a buzzard, and a group of teal. The only real route finding difficulty was picking up the bridleway for the walk back. Where Barnley Beck swings into a separate valley to the left, instead continue ahead for 25 yards (north west along Scale Gill) and then go up a small gill valley to the right (take care here as the route of the gill is difficult to see and I stepped into it). After 20 yards this valley turns slightly left and then you will see 2 holly trees at around 25 and 35 yards ahead to the right of the valley. Exit the valley up a verdant gully to the right just after the 2nd holly tree, and after a few yards leave the gully to the right onto a narrow but well worn track through the heather. We took a slight detour on the return to sit atop one of the striking boulders to the left to take in the splendid views.
SE 14623 81412
30U 579714 6009604
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view