There are numerous wayside shrines and field crosses in the municipality of Maikammer (with the Alsterweiler district). This hike leads past 8 wayside shrines and 12 field crosses.
Distance 8.5 km
Please note that this circular route is not signposted, the directions serve as a navigation aid. The tour begins in the center of Maikammer, initially through the village and then along the pathways to the edge of the forest and back into the village. It's an easy hike on mostly paved trails. Since only about 90 meters of altitude can be mastered, it is also suitable for hiking with a stroller.
If you take the tour with the app, you will learn a lot of information about all wayside shrines and crossings, e.g. about the history, when the monument was built or who the founder was. A filled picnic backpack is recommended as there are some nice resting places.
Update: November 09, 2021
Tips and hintsIf you still have time and interest after the tour, you can visit the Mediterranean garden of Maikammer. He is behind the association administration.
All descriptions are linked to https://www.kuladig.de.
Getting thereparking deck
ParkingParking deck in Johannes-Damm-Straße
32U 436935 5461618
Book recommendation by the author
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentHiking shoes and headgear in summer are recommended as there is no shade on the entire route.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view