The route starting from the foot of Salla’s highest fell, Sorsatunturi, passes through the fell wilderness along the UKK route. Walk together with the clear rivers deeper into the significant beautiful wilderness. Signs of the largest forest fire in Finland's recent history are still visible, especially in the region of Nuolusoiva-Kuskoiva, because the Arctic forest is slow to regenerate. Did you know that those charmed by Tuntsa will transform into a forest deer when they die?
To be considered:
- The route is classified as demanding
- There are several spings of water along the route where it is possible to take drinking water
- There are several camp fire places and cabins along the route, accommodation services are available at the Tuntsa pub
- More information about the route: luontoon.fi
- The north side of the wilderness area is bordered by the Värriö Strict Nature Reserve, where access is subject to permission
- Sorsatunturi fell is located partly in the border zone, where access is not allowed
Rest StopTuntsa Pub, Salla
- Choose the route according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- The route has poor phone coverage. When approaching Tuntsa, there is no connection at all.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance.