The gem of Kanjonin kurkkaus trail is river Oulankajoki that flows through a narrow, rocky canyon. The trail follows Karhunkierros Trail for a while, but even during peak seasons this trail is quite peaceful and usually you will meet only few fellow hikers on this trail.
The edge of the canyon offers many spots for scenery viewing and photographing along the trail, but if you want to see the canyon from both sides of the river, you can take a little detour to the other side of the river by crossing it along the Savilampi suspension bridge located close to the wilderness hut. If you chose to do so, turn right after the bridge and follow the stairway up, where you will find several great viewing points. Return the same way crossing the bridge back to the original trail.
Good choices for taking a break along this hike are Savilampi Open Wilderness hut or the campfire site on the waterfront of Kirkasvetisenlampi pond (the name of the pond means "clear water", and it is quite accurate!)
- Recommended hiking direction: anti-clockwise
- Trail is marked with green paint marks on the trees
- The trail includes some stairs, duckboards and ascending trail parts
Please be careful on the edge of the canyon and mind your step especially on rainy weather, when the ground can be slippery.
Instruction and rules of Oulanka National Park can be read in nationalparks.fi.
Tips and hints
- See detailed information about Kanjonin kurkkaus trail and other trails in Oulanka National Park in nationalparks.fi.
- Kanjonin kurkkaus trail information in pdf-version by Oulanka National Park.
See starting point of Kanjonin kurkkaus trail in Google Maps. Distance from Ruka to the starting point of the trail is about 50 km.
Driving from Kuusamo/Ruka: Drive road E63 towards Kemijärvi and turn right towards Salla (road 950). Drive 30 km and turn right (Brown sign “Oulangan kanjoni”, Urriaavantie) and drive 4 km -> turn right (Teeriaho, Kanjoni) and drive 1 km -> turn left (Kanjoni) and drive 5,5 km -> You arrive to parking area, where you'll find info board.
Driving from Oulanka Visitor Centre in Kuusamo: From the Visitor Centre turn left (Liikasenvaarantie, nr. 8693) and drive 13 km -> turn right (Sallantie, nr. 950) and drive 24 km -> turn right (Brown sign “Oulangan kanjoni”, Urriaavantie) and drive 4 km -> turn right (Teeriaho, Kanjoni) and drive 1 km -> turn left (Kanjoni) and drive 5,5 km -> You arrive to parking area, where you'll find info board.
Driving from Karhunkierros Visitor Centre in Hautajärvi: From the Visitor Centre turn left (Hautajärventie, nr. 950) and drive 1,5 km -> turn left (Oulangantie, nr. 950) and drive 2,5 km -> turn left (Brown sign “Oulangan kanjoni”, Urriaavantie) and drive 4 km -> turn right (Teeriaho, Kanjoni) and drive 1 km -> turn left (Kanjoni) and drive 5,5 km -> You arrive to Parking area, where you'll find info board.
ParkingFree parking area at the starting point of the trail.
Book recommendations for this region:
- Dress according to the weather and pack your packback with some water and snacks.
- No waste bins along the trail. Please carry all your waste with you and do not litter. Bring your own toiletpaper.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.