The spectacular scenic marshlands and the starkly beautiful nature attract admirers of the scenery and nature photographers to the route. You can cross a river with a rope boat ferry on this route in the northern part of the Oulanka National Park. The wilderness hut at Keroharju, with its sauna, invites you stay for a longer time in the midst of the wilderness.
To be considered:
- There is a water crossing on this route; the Niitselysjoki river is crossed using a rope boat ferry, which is taken out of use during the winter
- The route can be started from Harjulammentie at Liikasenvaara in Kuusamo, or in Salla from Niitselyksentie at Hautajärvi
- Please note the instructions for how to behave in Oulanka National Park, the instructions can be found on the luontoon.fi site of Metsähallitus
- More information about the route can be found from the Metsähallitus website at luontoon.fi
- Choose the route according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance