Section 3 of 7
Running mainly along the Costa Verde…the northern coast of Spain…is the most extensive narrow-gauge railway network in Europe…1,192 km long and with almost 400 stations or halts.
FEVE or the “Ferrocarriles (Espanoles) de Via Estrecha” (literally "Spanish narrow-gauge railway”) runs alongside the Camino del Norte, the Camino Viejo and the Camino do Mar.
It is frequently used by hikers attempting those caminos in several smaller sections to get to/from major cities/airports to where those sections start/finish.
For more information see:
Camino del Norte:
Camino do Mar:
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.