The 410-meter ascent to the top is gradual, and the trail is well-marked and easy to follow.
- Fondsbu Mountain Lodge is located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. It's a full-service DNT cabin with many events, music, and cultural events.
- Eidsbugarden Hotel is also located on the western end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- Bygdin Fjellhotel is located at the eastern end of Bygdin Lake. Visit their website for accommodation information and availability.
- The Right to Roam law enables you to camp most places for free as long as you follow some basic guidelines.
- You will find lots of creeks on the first section of the hike, where you can fill up your water bottle. The last section of the hike has few options for getting drinking water.
Tips and hints
- Toilets available at Fondsbu.
- You can also buy prepared food at Fondsbu.
Drive on road E16 (Lærdal - Fagernes), before exiting towards Tyin Lake and Eidsbugarden. Follow signs towards Eidsbugarden on the eastern side of Tyin Lake. Paid parking is available at Eidsbugarden. 65 NOK for 12-hours parking and 100 NOK for 24-hours parking.
By boat from Bygdin
It is also possible to get to Eidsbugarden by boat from Bygdin. Visit the JVB boat website for schedules and prices for the boat ride. Bygdin is situated 50 kilometers north of Beitostølen. You can drive your car there and park at Bygdin or take the bus from Oslo.
Book recommendations for this region: