The Wayfarer’s Trail (Sentiero del Viandante) is an ancient route that unfolds on the eastern branch of the Como lake and it links Abbadia Lariana to Morbegno. You will enjoy different points of view of the Como lake along the way making this trail really enjoyable.
It is usually divided between four and six stages according to the guide you follow, but this time I did three stages all at once for a total of 32 km:
1) Abbadia Lariana – Lierna
2) Lierna – Varenna (bottom path)
3) Varenna – Dervio
I’ve made a few detours and I chose the bottom path from Lierna to Varenna in order to save some energy.
It’s not an hard trail per se, but the long distance makes it challenging so make sure to leave early in the morning especially in winter because you don’t want to find yourself in the dark in the woods after you’d been walking for a whole day.
With a good pace it will take you more or less 11 hours including a 30 minutes lunch break and shorter breaks during the way.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.