This trail is part of our guide hiking in Geirangerfjord.
Visit a picturesque mountain farm overlooking Geirangerfjord
Skageflå is a remote mountain farm overlooking The Seven Sisters Waterfall in the UNESCO-listed Geirangerfjord. It is quite possibly one of the most scenic places you will ever visit.
The easiest way to reach Skageflå is to take the sightseeing boat from Geiranger. The boat stops at a dock called Skagehola. From there you can hike up to the farm and enjoy the views.
You can either return to the dock and get picked up by the next ferry, or hike back to Geiranger via Homlongsætra, which takes several hours. The trail described here leads back towards Geiranger, but can be used for shorter trips up to the farm.
Note that the distance and duration measurements used here are to the end of the trail at Homlong. If you walk all the way back along the road to Geiranger, add another 2.4 kilometers or around 30 minutes.
There are several hotels, lodges, and campgrounds in and around Geiranger.
- Grande Fjord Hotel is a popular and cozy hotel, with fjord views 2.5 kilometers from Geiranger.
- Hotel Union Geiranger is a large hotel set back in the valley and facing the fjord, with an indoor swimming pool.
- Hotell Geiranger is in the heart of Geiranger, right by the fjord.
- Geiranger Camping is a simple campground located right at the end of the fjord, on the waterfront.
- Vinje Camping has cabins and campgrounds, 1.5 kilometers up the valley from Geiranger.
You can do this hike in reverse, starting in Homlong and then taking the cruise back to Geiranger, or hike both ways.
Tips and hints
- The only good water source is a running creek at Homlongsætra, so bring plenty of water.
The trail starts at Skagehola, on the shore of the Geirangerfjord. To get there, take the sightseeing boat from Geiranger.
A ticket costs between 360 and 405 NOK and drops you off at Skagehola after either 40 or 60 minutes, depending on the departure you’ve chosen. Daily departures start in late May and continue through early October.
If you only wish to hike up to the farm and back down again, take note of the timetable for pickup.
32V 401814 6887920
Book recommendations for this region:
Push the arrows to change the view