The spectacular scenic marshlands and the starkly beautiful nature attract admirers of the scenery and nature photographers to the route. You can cross a river with a rope boat ferry on this route in the northern part of the Oulanka National Park. The wilderness hut at Keroharju, with its sauna, invites you stay for a longer time in the midst of the wilderness.
To be considered:
- There is a water crossing on this route; the Niitselysjoki river is crossed using a rope boat ferry, which is taken out of use during the winter
- The route can be started from Harjulammentie at Liikasenvaara in Kuusamo, or in Salla from Niitselyksentie at Hautajärvi
- Please note the instructions for how to behave in Oulanka National Park, the instructions can be found on the luontoon.fi site of Metsähallitus
- More information about the route can be found from the Metsähallitus website at luontoon.fi
- Choose the route according to your physical fitness, skills, and circumstances.
- Follow markings and signposts.
- Always keep a map and phone with you. You can also download the Salla routes to your phone via the CityNomadi app (maps pre-downloaded on your phone will also work in areas where there is no internet connection)
- Download the 112 app on your phone for any possible emergency situations. It is your obligation to stop and help if you notice someone needing assistance
Tips and hintsPlease remember the rules of litter-free hiking; everything that is taken into nature is also taken out. The hiker must not leave a trace in nature.
Getting therePlease see the description.
ParkingFree parking near starting point.
Book recommendations for this region:
Equipment- High-cut waterproof hiking boots that support the ankle or rubber boots
- 5 Waypoints
- 5 Waypoints