TOP hiking trail Creuzburg
Eichsfeld – Hainich Verified partner Explorers Choice
Once on the plateau, the trail leads through a rustic forest area to the Eschenborn with its spring of the same name, which invites you to take a break. On the rough grasslands along the path to the viewpoint "Wisch" you can admire many rare orchids at the appropriate time of year.
On the way back down to the town, you will pass the Church of God's Cemetery. This church, which is no longer in use, now houses an informative exhibition on the Eichsfeld-Hainich-Werratal Nature Park, in which the region is integrated. Last but not least, Creuzburg Castle, which dates back to the 12th century, is waiting to be explored.
- Liborius Chapel and Old Werra Bridge A detour to the late Gothic Liborius Chapel with its unique murals is worthwhile across one of the best-preserved historic sandstone bridges in Germany.
- Nature reserve "Ebenauer Köpfe und Wisch" Especially during the main blooming period in May and June, many orchids can be discovered here on the limestone grasslands grazed by goats.
- Gottesackerkirche Learn about the Eichsfeld-Hainich-Werratal Nature Park and theWerratal get to knowStiftsgut Wilhelmsglücksbrunn The organic hotel Wilhelmsglücksbrunn is worth a detour. Let yourself be spoiled with regional and organic delicacies. The adjacent floodplain meadows with an inland salt marsh were placed under protection in 2000 due to their great importance as a retreat for endangered plant and animal species.
Rest stopsHotel & Restaurant Auf der Creuzburg
Haus Kühmstädt - Creuzburg
Alte Posthalterei - Restaurant, Café, Hotel - Creuzburg
Safety informationDue to the drought of the last few years, many trees are damaged and some are in danger of breaking. Therefore, be careful when you are in the forest, especially during stronger winds.
When entering fenced pasture areas, please observe appropriate behavior and closed pasture gates.
Attention - pasture fence carries electricity!
Some physical condition is required for the ascent through the nature reserve.
Tips and hints
The paths outside the urban area are mainly forest and gravel paths and relatively flat. There are stronger climbs, among others, on the ascent through the nature reserve "Ebennauer Köpfe und Wisch" and on the descent from the lookout point "Wisch".
Waypoints when hiking counterclockwise:
Werrabrücke parking lot - Schützenplatz - Ebenauer Köpfe viewpoint - Eschenborn - Alte Scherbdaer Straße - Wisch - Gottesackerkirche - Creuzburg Castle - Marktplatz - Werrabrücke parking lot.
Public transportBusfahrplan Eisenach - Treffurt
By roadVia the B7 or the L1017 coming from Mihla.
- Hikers' parking lot at the Werra Bridge (recommended, free of charge)
- Parking lot at the Liborius Chapel - opposite side of the Werra (free of charge)
- Parking lot at Schützenplatz (free of charge)
- Parking lot in front of Creuzburg Castle (chargeable)
Author’s map recommendations
- tear- and weatherproof map with the network of biking- and hiking trails in the Nature Park and the Hainich National Park
- Status: July 2022
- costs: 6€
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
- weather appropriate clothing
- sturdy shoes
- sufficient drinks
- if necessary sun protection
- 12 Waypoints
- 12 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others