Special features: Discover fossils dating from as far back as 200 million years. Take a good look, even pick them up, but make sure not to damage any of these objects - they would be destroyed forever.
Sites to see: Steinernes Meer - a mass of fossils, among them the Steinbockhorn or Ibex Horn, the name having been conferred upon the rock formation by local hunters.
EMERGENCY CALL NUMBERS
140 Alpine emergencies, throughout Austria
144 Alpine emergencies, Vorarlberg
112 European emergency call number (works with any mobile phone/network)
Only access via "Formarinsee" hiking bus from Lech post office. Tickets available at Lech post office.
ParkingReasonably priced parking at Anger underground car park, change to "Formarinsee" hiking bus at Lech post office.
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentSturdy boots, warm clothes, rain and sun protection, hiking poles recommended. Mobile phone for emergencies.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.