Finish Point: Penzance
Distance: 11 miles | Height gain: 1775 feet/541 metres
Time walking: 6 hours excluding breaks
Difficulty: Varied. A difficult start with some serious hills to climb. It remains relativley difficult until Lamorna, where boulders litter the path but from then on it is straight forward.
Highlights: Lamorna Cove, Mousehole harbour (and the restaurants), Newlyn Harbour and Chapel Street in Penzance.
Aside from Porthcurno and Lamorna, tiny fishing hamlets are the only signs of habitation on this coast, until you reach Mousehole. Enjoy the sense of wilderness because just around the corner wait the calm waters and towns of Mounts Bay. This is West Cornwall’s economic centre and it has maintained a seaside charm that draws tens of thousands of visitors every year.
It is a picturesque working district that caters for visitors and locals alike. The busy harbour at Newlyn is still home to the country’s second largest fishing fleet, the shops and cafes of Penzance provide a centre for the surrounding towns and villages and St Michael's Mount draws visitors from across the world.
The towns share a history dating back to pre Roman times and the short distance to be covered allows ample chance to wander the streets, investigate the busy harbours and pay a visit to St Michael's Mount.
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.