From the Walser village of Bosco Gurin, you follow the red-and-white waymarked path over alpine pastures and rock slabs to the Bann alp, before climbing over large boulders to reach the little lake.
The ascent to Lake Schwarz is no longer so steep: it probably owes its name (black) to its very dark colour. Flocks of sheep are a feature of this stony alpine area in summer. Continue through the scree to Lake Üssera before descending to the Üsser and Endra Staful alpine pastures.
The descent through the larch forest back to Bosco Gurin is again very steep. Back in Bosco Gurin (check the bus timetable from/to here in advance), why not visit the Walserhaus Museum to learn more about the history of this enclave?
Book recommendations for this region:
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.