The Upper Andlau Castle was built in 1344. It emerged unscathed from the 30 Years' War and remained inhabitable until the French Revolution.
In 1695, the provost of the castle killed one of the last bears in the Vosges nearby.
Partially demolished after 1806, the castle was bought back by Hermann Félix d'Andlau, and has remained in the family to the present day.
Spesbourg Castle was built around 1250 by Baron Dicka de Stahleck, who was a trustee of Andlau Abbey.
The core of the castle consists of a square keep and a beautiful main building with geminated windows, surrounded by a high curtain wall, itself reinforced by a thick shield wall.
Safety informationIn case of emergency : 112.
Tips and hints-
Getting thereA35 exit Barr
ParkingHoltzplatz: car park at the start of the walk.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- Clothes adapted to the season and the conditions (cold, hot, wet...)
- Hiking shoes adapted to the terrain (even for children!)
- Hiking poles (useful for stability and to take the strain off the joints)
- Mobile phone and spare battery