Start point: Hirkan NP
End point: Hirkan NP
Distance: 7 km
Start altitude: 30m
End altitude: 20m
Duration: 3 hours
Lake Khanbulan is a reservoir located in the Lankaran region. The lake is located 17km south-west of Lankaran city and at is 73m above sea level.
The lake is located in the Hirkan National Park and footpaths lead to it from Hirkan village. Surrounded by amazing scenery, Lake Khanbulan was created as a reservoir in 1976 and is approximately 5km long and over 2km wide, and is surrounded by forests on all sides.
The village of Apu, Dashtatuk, Parakend are located near the lake. The populations of these villages are Talysh and have their own Talysh language and culture. The Hirkan National Park is extremely rich in flora and fauna. Along the route you will see oak and Iron trees of up to 300 years old, as well as many different bird species. Moreover, more remote areas offshore areas of the national park have different animal species, the most notable of which is the Caucasus Leopard.
The lake is accessible in every season, with the main tourist season being spring, summer and early fall. However, this is the area of the country with the most rainfall and it is not advisable to visit during rainy weather. Therefore, it is recommended that you check the accuracy of weather forecasts in advance. Note that since the lake is located within the national park,you need to pay a small fee when entering. This is one of the easiest hiking routes - it is very interesting, scenic and comfortable for beginners. The route is marked by colours from start to finish.
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.