Forests, meadows, Valais villages, amazing views and even playgrounds for the kids. This hike below the sunny plateau of the Aletsch Arena is a real hit with families.
Distance 6.8 km
From Mörel-Filet, take the gondola up to the middle station in Ried-Mörel. Follow the path along the Grosser Graben. Cross the gorge once you’re level with Greich, which is on the other side of the Grosser Graben. The path is narrow but easily walkable. From Greich, continue past the striking middle station of the Mörel-Riederalp cable car in the direction of Goppisberg. The path runs above the road, then between avalanche barriers and through a forest until it rejoins the road just before Goppisberg. Follow the road for around 100 metres, then take the gravel path that branches off right and continues down to Goppisberg. You then hike back to Mörel-Filet via Breiten.
Out and about with kids? The little ones can let off steam at the playgrounds in Ried-Mörel, Greich and Mörel-Filet.
AuthorAletsch Arena AG
Update: December 21, 2021
Use of the trails and the information on this website is at hikers’ own risk. Local conditions may entail changes to routes. Aletsch Arena AG accepts no liability for the accuracy and completeness of information on this website.
- Bring a map. Download full description of this route including large-scale map by clicking on «Print» icon, top right of this page.
- Use marked trails only, and observe all signposting – for your own safety, to safeguard grazing animals and to avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Close gates after passing through.
- Please be considerate to other trail users, and to the plants and animals.
- Do not leave any waste in nature.
Tips and hints
Getting thereTake Kantonsstrasse 19 to the Mörel-Filet exit, then follow signs for the parking facilities. Proceed on foot to the Riederalp cable car (Aletsch Bahnen AG), which takes you up to Ried-Mörel.
- Limited parking spaces (charges apply) at Mörel-Filet station. Further parking options are signposted.
- Large pay multi-storey car parks at the entrance to Mörel-Filet and in the village centre.
32T 425710 5134487
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- good footwear
- clothing suitable for the weather: always carry a waterproof jacket
- hat or cap
- bottle for water
- binoculars (optional)
- hiking poles (optional)
- printout of this hike (click «Print» icon, to download)
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view