The trail continues over the plain of the hamlet of Gampisch, which is farmed in summer. Afterwards, the trail leads back to the Barralhaus, which is a real eye-catcher for visitors with its floor plan of 7x120 metres. It was built by the clergyman Pierre Barral, who built the building as holiday accommodation for his pupils. However, Barral went bankrupt before the building was completed. Today, the Barralhaus is owned by the army.
- Plan each mountain tour carefully and adapt it to your own conditions, weather and season.
- The weather in the mountains can change quickly. Therefore, take suitable clothing and sufficient provisions and water with you. If the weather is unsafe, turn back in time.
- Inform third parties about the tour and if possible never go alone.
- Do not leave marked trails and do not go on glaciers or rough terrain without a mountain guide.
- Be considerate of other hikers, plants and animals.
- Entering the snowshoe trails and cross-country ski run at your own risk.
Tips and hintswinter sports report
The cross-country ski run is not prepared every day. Up-to-date information on the condition of the cross-country ski run can be obtained from Brig Simplon Tourismus.
Getting thereBy train to Brig. Then by Postcar to Simplonpass.
ParkingFree parking is available on the Simplon Pass.
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
- Good footwear
- Hiking poles at most
- Warm winter clothing depending on weather conditions
Basic Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Lightweight rain and windproof ski jacket
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Lip protection (SPF 30+)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cross-country skiing gloves
- moisture wicking skull / knit cap
Technical Equipment for Cross-Country Skiing
- Cross-country skis
- Cross country ski bindings
- Cross-country boots
- Cross-country poles
- Waxes if required
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.