With these words, Martin Luther expressed his appreciation of the Reformation in Nordhausen. He first visited the town on 30 May 1516 as part of a journey that took him there via Gotha and Langensalza.
On 22 April 1525, Luther preached in Nordhausen against the rebellious peasants and thus drove the Reformation forward, as he did in many other towns.
The Luther Mile in Nordhausen covers a total of eleven stations. Due to his friendship with the town mayor, Meyenburg, Martin Luther often visited Nordhausen, and the town quickly converted to Protestantism.
One of the most significant stations on the route is St Blasii Church where Martin Luther preached and in 1525 called for obedience to temporal authorities. Thomas Müntzer was also here for a few months, and the Reformation spread through Nordhausen and the entire Südharz region thanks to the vicar and preacher Johannes Spangenberg.