The spectacular contrast between traditional and modern Graz. Here is where the “Cultural capitalof Europe” project has left its clearest traces.
Distance 1.8 km
A couple of steps across the Mur – the river that divides Graz – providea welcome contrast. Ever since 2003, the year when Graz was cultural capital of Europe, this has been home to the future: the enigmatic “friendly alien” Kunsthaus has made itself at home, nestled between the ancient houses. Local people love the unique beauty of this beast, and see it as the city’s new second landmark. A floating shell in the river connects the two sides of the city: the island in the Mur.
The Kunsthaus Graz is part of the Universalmuseum Joanneum and cantherefore be visited using a Joanneum 24 or 48 h ticket. Detailed information can be found in our “Museums and Galleries” folder.
Update: January 20, 2022
33T 533392 5213047
Basic Equipment for City Walks
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Comfortable clothing
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Cell phone
- Cash and cards
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view