And yes, you are still on Swiss territory! On the fringes of Valais, close to the border with Italy, this wonderfully concealed valley is well worth the detour...
Distance 11.8 km
The road opposite Gondo along the Italian border is built on a terrace that eventually opens onto the Zwischbergental, a superb, unspoilt valley 16km in length. The climb up to this remote valley on the south side of the Simplon Pass is both challenging and surprising: those who venture there appear to have stumbled into a place out of time. An absolute must if you happen to find yourself in the area!
Don’t forget to take some form of identification with you.
Safety informationStrictly respect the Swiss traffic rules. Please note that you are running the tour at your own risk and all liability is refused. Please be considerate to plants and animals. For your own safety, wear an helmet every time you ride a bike. Emergency numbers: 144 Ambulance / 117 Police / 1414 Helicopter Rescue (Rega).
Tips and hintsDon't forget to take your passport with you.
Getting thereFrom Brig, take the cantonal road number 9 up to the Simplon pass and then to Gondo. The village is situated just before the italian border.
ParkingFollow the local car park routeing in Gondo.
32T 433684 5116153
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
EquipmentWe recommend: bike in excellent working order, helmet, gloves and bell, clothing suitable for the weather (always carry a waterproof), food and drink.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.
Duration : h
Highest point m
Lowest point m
Push the arrows to change the view