There are lots of trip possibilities along the disused Valdres Line throughout the year. The line was closed for the public in the 1980s. In the 1990s the line was fully abandoned, with the transport of logs and goods between Eina and Odnes along the railway ceasing. The railway tracks are no longer used by trains, but they offer a fantastic way for the public to discover the beautiful landscape throughout the seasons.
Taking a ride in a draisine is a popular activity that takes place on the disused railway tracks. Pedalling a draisine along the tracks is fun whether you are alone, on a team-building activity with work, or with your friends or family. The route is between Dokka and Hov, and is 23.7km one-way, taking in stations at Dokka, Odnes, Fluberg, Bjørnerud and Hov. This route goes through the scenic agricultural landscape, the Dokka delta and along the Randsfjorden.
Come and try this fanstatic journey! There are several information signs about the nature, the landscape, and landmarks along the Valdres Line.
A great place to stop after 7km pedalling towards Hov is the Dokkadeltaet Nasjonale Våtmarkssenter in Odnes. Here you will be able to observe the birds from the bird tower or enjoy the view of the Dokka delta nature reserve. There is a visitor centre at the Wetland Centre, that is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays in summer, with different activities each week, click here.
Another great place to stop, or a journey destination, is the Sagvika bathing site complete with facilities, between Odnes and Fluberg. The Dokka - Sagvika stretch is 10km each way and makes a great round trip!
The draisines can be hired from the Shell petrol station in Dokka and Hov Station. You can also enjoy draisine pedalling at Tonåsen in Valdres, see Valdres Villmarkssenter for hire (http://www.valdresbanen.no/).
Draisine hire prices (prices stated are from 2018, please be aware that prices may change)
• Tandem draisine kr. 450,-
• Single draisine kr. 350,-
- Draisines can be hired from the Shell petrol station, here you will be able to get the keys, seats for the draisines, driving instructions, bicycle baskets, first-aid kits, helmets and reflective vests. Feel free to use your own bicycle helmet if you prefer.
- Price of draisine hire: Tandem draisine kr. 450, single draisine kr. 350 (prices as of 2018, prices may change).
- The Shell petrol station at Dokka is open from 6am to 11pm.
- It is also possible to hire draisines from Hov Station, ring 941 55 734 to arrange hire of these draisines due to limited availability.
- It is recommended that you cycle with trousers due to the vegetation alongside the tracks. Waterproof trousers are recommended if the weather is or has been wet.
- It is a good idea to bring swimwear, as there are plenty of bathing possibilities along the route.
- Bring plenty of water, as there are not many places to top-up on the way.
Tips, hints and links
- There is free parking available at Dokka Station and Hov Station.
- There are free toilets available in the Wetland Centre visitor centre in summer. Please be aware of opening hours.
- The Wetland Centre is open on Wednesdays and Saturdays during the school holidays. Here you can take part in various activities, buy waffles and coffee, hire canoes and fishing equipment, and view our current exhibition about the nature in the Dokka delta nature reserve.
- Sagvika bathing site. It is also possible to swim at the Dokka Delta Wetland Centre in Odnes.