Difficulty level: Moderate tour with several small and two steep climbs (Gelterswoog - Queidersbach has a height gain of 80 metres over 1.5 km and the Gräfenstein loop 95 metres over 1.3 km. The latter can be avoided by riding directly between Münchweiler and Hinterweidenthal on the Pirminius Cycle Route through the Waschbachtal valley).
- 30 km of forest tracks and agricultural roads
- 14 km of cycle paths
- 16 km on urban roads with no cycle paths
- 1 km on rural roads with no cycle paths
- 58 km of asphalt surfaces
- 3 km of crushed brick/stone surfaces
- Kaiserslautern - Queidersbach, 9 km (165 m of ascent, 90 m of descent): From the northern edge of the Palatinate Forest to the South West, and over the first scenic hurdle onto Sickingen Heights.
- Queidersbach - Biebermühle, 24 km (70 m of ascent, 150 m of descent): Heading south on cycle paths through the Queidersbach and Moosalbe river valleys.
- Biebermühle - Münchweiler/Rodalb, 10 km (65 m of ascent, 40 m of descent): To the east in the Rodalb valley.
- Münchweiler - Hinterweidenthal, 17.5 km (170 m of ascent, 220 m of descent): Gräfenstein high loop through dense forest.
The route in the cycle network: This important route connects Kaiserslautern with the Central Palatinate Forest.
Starting from the Barbarossa city of Kaiserslautern, with its Japanese Garden and Gartenschau park, the Palatinate Forest Tour continues to Hohenecken. Here you have the option of visiting the ruined Hohenecken Castle or enjoying a refreshing dip at Gelterswoog lido. The cycle tour continues along the country road to Queidersbach. Museum Sickinger Höhe, which is housed in a former school building, is open to the public on the first Sunday of every month. On the outskirts of town there is a shared footpath and cycle trail to the neighbouring municipality of Linden.
Rest StopBold's Hotel-Restaurant Zum Grünen Kranz
Safety informationCyclists must obey the German highway code (StVo).
Tips, hints and linksFeedback, errors or omissions? Contact us by email: email@example.com www.radwanderland.de (responsible for infrastructure and route description).
When travelling by car, any town can be chosen as the starting point of the Palatinate Forest Tour.
You reach the starting point of Kaiserslautern train station via the A6 (Kaiserslautern West or Zentrum exit), the A63 (Kaiserslautern Zentrum exit), the B270 or the B37.