The approximately 90 km cycle path traverses the beautiful and diverse scenery of the Palatinate. A section of around 5 km through the Palatinate Forest between the Eiswoog and Alsenborn is the only stretch to feature significant gradients.
The cycle route takes its name from none other than Emperor Frederick I, better known as Barbarossa, who had a decisive influence on the history of the Palatinate in the 12th century. In addition to numerous castle ruins, the Imperial Palace in Kaiserslautern is one of the most significant examples of his work. The route also features a wealth of other tourist attractions and places to take a break and relax.
The route logo is a stylised image of Emperor Barbarossa. It is based on the sculpture above the north portal of Worms Cathedral.
Safety informationCyclists must obey the German highway code (StVo).
Tips and hintsFeedback, errors or omissions? Contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org www.radwanderland.de (responsible for infrastructure and route description).
Author’s map recommendations
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentPlease wear a helmet. Touring bicycle or bike with multiple gears, weatherproof clothing, drinks and supplies.
Basic Equipment for Bike Riding
- Cycling helmet
- Cycling gloves
- Sturdy, comfortable and preferably waterproof footwear
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket)
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
Technical Equipment for Bike Riding
- Air pump or CO2 pump including cartridges
- Puncture repair kit
- Replacement inner tube
- Tire levers
- Chain tool
- Hex keys
- Phone / device holder as required
- Bike lock as required
- Where applicable, the bike must meet requirements for road use by having a bell, front and rear lamps and spoke reflectors
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.