Surrounded by Dovre and Rondane National Parks, Grimsdalen Valley is a highlight. Scattered along the hillsides are mountain farms, and in summer, you will see an abundance of grazing animals. If you are lucky, you may catch a glimpse of wild reindeer living in the national parks.
The historic Hjerkinn Fjellstue has provided accommodation for travelers for more than 1,200 years. Choose between hotel or apartment accommodation, or stay at the Pilgrim Hut. Camping facilities are also available. For an unforgettable experience on horseback in the mountains, book a horseback riding trip through their website.
Grimsdalshytta is a staffed DNT lodge. Read about how to access DNT cabins in our ultimate guide. All food served at the lodge is homemade from local produce. Lunch is from 12 pm to 4 pm, and dinner from 7 pm to 10 pm.
- Fill up your bottle with water from the River Grimse running through Grimsdalen Valley.
- A tip is to visit Folldal Gruver. This old mine has a train that goes 600 meters into the mountain.
- The road through Grimsdalen is open for motorized traffic from June 5. It is possible to bike there before this time as long as there’s no snow on the road. Check the weather forecast if you wish to go earlier in the summer.
Tips and hints
- You will find public toilets in Folldal and at Grimsdalshytta.
- On the way up to Folldal Gruver, there are two convenience stores, Joker and Coop Extra, where you can buy supplies.
If you go by car from Oslo, you can follow the road E6 north and it will take you about 4,5 hours to reach Hjerkinn. From Trondheim it's approximately 3 hours on the road E6 heading south. While from Bergen it takes from 8 to 9 hours depending on which road you take.
You can get to Hjerkinn by train and bus.
There are several daily train connections between Oslo and Hjerkinn as well as between Trondheim and Hjerkinn. If you travel by train, double-check that the train allows bikes onboard.
Nor-way bus drives to Hjerkinn from Trondheim and Bergen, and there is also a route between Oslo and Trondheim.