Wittlicher Senke Cycle Trail
Mosel. Faszination Urlaub Verified partner Explorers Choice
The Baroque church of St. Martin in DreisPhoto: Mosellandtouristik GmbH, Moseleifel Touristik e.V.
Thanks to this protected location, even tobacco can be cultivated here. The cycle trail takes you past small villages such as Hetzerath, Esch, Salmtal or Dreis, until you finally reach the town of Wittlich. The route from Esch to Dreis is identical to the Salm Cycle Trail.
Places of interest along the route:
- Wittlich: historical market square, turrets, St. Markus parish church, synagogue
- Dreis: The Baroque church of St. Martin
- Salmtal: Salm mill, Dörbach village
- Sehlem: Village square, parish church, old school
- Esch: Church, mill, village square
- Hetzerath: Church and rectory, Wine Museum
- Schweich: Synagogue, St. Martin church, Stefan-Andres fountain
Safety informationWatch for traffic and stay on the designated path.
Tips and hintsMosellandtouristik GmbH
Tel. +49 (0)6531/97330
Tourist Information Wittlich Stadt und Land
Telefon: 06571 – 4086
Suggestions, something you have noticed or deficiencies? Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org (www.radwanderland.de - responsible for infrastructure and route descriptions of the Rhineland-Palatinate section).
Profile: Level to light sloping route, mainly on own paths, paved throughout with excellent signage, profile: easy to cycle, maximum ascent of 4%.
Course: 24 km of forest and farm roads or cycle paths; 6.5 km roads through towns without cycle lanes; 0.5 km outside of towns without cycle lanes.
Surface quality: All paths are paved.
The route in the cycle trail network: The Wittlicher Senke Cycle Trail is a northern connection running straight through the Moselle Valley between the Maare-Moselle Cycle Trail and the Maare-Moselle Cycle Trail.
Source and additional information: www.radwanderland.de
Public transportRailway lines and RegioRadler:
- Schweich railway station: Connection to railway line Trier-Koblenz as well as to the RegioRadler Moselle Valley (Line 333), May to October, route: Trier - Bernkastel - Bullay.
- Wittlich main railway station (= Wittlich-Wengerohr, 5 km away): Connection to railway line Trier-Koblenz.
- Wittlich: Connection to RegioRadler MaareMosel (Line 300), May to October, route: Bernkastel - Wittlich - Daun.
Getting thereArrival to Schweich: Schweich via the A 1 (AS Schweich) or via the B 53
Travel to Wittlich: Wittlich has two freeway junctions: Wittlich West A 60, Wittlich Mitte A 1 / A 48.
ParkingParking in Schweich: Parking is available near the Stefan-Andres fountain or on Bernhard-Becker-Strasse. The Schweich train station also offers good parking facilities.
Parking in Wittlich: Free parking is available at the Wittlich parking lot, center/Rommelsbach, distance to MMR/connection to the Wittlicher Senke bike path, approx. 500 m. Further parking facilities at Wittlich main station in the Wengerohr district.
Author’s map recommendations
Free South Eifel bike map with routes & tour tips.
Book recommendations for this region:
Recommended maps for this region:
EquipmentRoadworthy bike, bike helmet, mending kit for small repairs, bike map.
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others