Beautiful Kymijoki custom scenic route in the Kotka area. Experience the wild and free touch of the Kymijoki River, the maritime atmosphere of the city of Kotka and the interesting desires along the route.
Certainly one of the finest city bike routes in our country is the rapid cycling route that runs around the banks of the Kymijoki River. Along the way, you can explore six free-flowing rapids, on the shores of which you can still see a wide variety of histories from different eras. The most significant sightseeing along the route is the Langinkoski Imperial Fishing Lodge, which is located on the shore of the rapids of Langinkoski. The fishing lodge was built at the request of the Russian Emperor Alexander II and served as a holiday destination for the imperial family for several summers in the late 19th century. Today, the area has a museum and a conservation area maintained by Metsähallitus.
Another significant historical site is the fortress of Kyminlinna, the construction of which was started by order of Catherine the Great in 1790. The inside of the fortress is not yet accessible, but this magnificent fortress can be visited by touring the ramparts outside.
Kotka is the park capital of Finland and one of these magnificent parks is located on the shores of Siikakoski rapid. Completed in 2020, Koskipuisto has many things to see and do. The park’s first-class outdoor trails run through the arboretum and protected areas. On a hot summer day, you can freshen up while cycling, even by taking a dip in the river for a swim. The two bathing places in the park offer a good opportunity for this. Tattarinkoski rapid also has a swimming area maintained by the locals. And although it is an urban cycling route, part of the route passes through an idyllic rural town.
Here are some tips for the route:
- Along the route there are a few charming cafes where you can stop by. At Metsola's steam brewery, you can also visit the local brewery.
- The bubbling Langinkoski rapid is one of Kotka's most amazing attractions. The Langinkoski nature reserve has comfortable and well-maintained trails that can also be cycled by ordinary bicycles. If you are lucky, you can run into an emperor and empress in Langinkoski. The imperial fishing lodge stands proudly on the shores of a bubbling rapids. There is also a café in the area.
- On the shores of Siikakoski rapid it is appropriate to spend a moment touching and admiring the landscape. Siikakoski Koskipuisto has been built on the shore of the rapids, with many things to see and do. Many of the trails of the park are suitable for cycling, and you can also have a coffee break on the terrace of Villa Munkholma on the shore of the rapids.
- Tattarinkoski rapid has a small beach maintained by the locals, where you can relax while cycling.
Rest stopsMerikeskus Vellamo
Langinkosken keisarillinen kalastusmaja
Siikakosken Koskipuisto, Kotka
The route is easy and at only a few points the route runs along path-like sections where the cyclist should be careful.
Please always wear a cycling helmet when cycling.
Tips and hints
Check the opening hours of places to visit and restaurants along the route in advance:
- Maritime centre Vellamo https://www.merikeskusvellamo.fi/
- Restaurant Keisarinsatama https://www.keisarinsatama.com/fi/
- Kotka steam brewery https://www.kotkasteambrewery.com/
- Langinkoski Imperial Fishing Lodge Museum and Café Dagmar https://www.kansallismuseo.fi/fi/langinkoski
- Kyminlinna fortress https://kansallisetkaupunkipuistot.fi/kyminlinna/
- Restaurant Villa Munkholma https://www.facebook.com/villamunkholma