The construction of a new Catholic church in Apatin dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin was completed in 1798. It has the characteristics of "Kopf" style or Danube Baroque, decorated in Baroque style. In addition to the statue of St. Peter and Paul, the Baroque statue of the Black Virgin, which is made of ebony, stands out.
In the Church one of the oldest specimens of thorny wood (Gleditsia triacanthos) can be found, more than 15m high,. Brought from Jerusalem on the day the foundation stone of the church was laid, the spines of the thorns of a thorn tree a crown was made, crowning the head of Jesus Christ the Son of God, when he was crucified on the hill of Calvary.