The old town of Lichtenberg was built on land cleared by the Dukes of Andechs-Merania.
A strangely elongated old town centre is located under the fortress, the tower of which can be seen from a great distance. The town together with its church, which was dedicated to John the Baptist, was only named as such in 1337. Iron and copper mines made the small territory of Lichtenberg interesting for its territorial lord. It passed from the Dukes of Orlamünde, who were ministeriales of the Andechs-Merania lords, to the Margrave of Brandenburg in 1427, who quickly sold it to Kaspar von Waldenfels, the captain of Hof. Considerable remains of the old fortress have been preserved; it defied the Hussites in 1430 and a military expedition of Upper German imperial towns in 1444. Following the total destruction of the fortress (in 1554), it was secured and appealingly renovated. The tower, which could be considered as a castle keep, only developed from the ruins of an old stair tower in 1936.
Lichtenberg is connected to the railway network via the Höllental stop on the Hof-Selbitz-Bad Steben route. Online travel information at www.agilis.de and by phone at 0800 58 92 840.