Photo: Sicherlich, CC BY-SA, By Sicherlich (Own work) [GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html), CC-BY-SA-3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/) or CC BY-SA 2.5-2.0-1.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5-2.0-1.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Thomas-Müntzer-Denkmal - Stolberg
Photo: Ralf Lotys, CC BY, By Ralf Lotys (Sicherlich) (Own work) [CC BY 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
The Town Hall is located on the marketplace right below the church and the palace. It was built in 1452 and is characterised by an architectural peculiarity; there are no interior stairs. All three floors are only accessible via a wide external staircase that also leads to the church, and each part of the building has its own front door.
Another curiosity is the order and number or external elements. Initially the town hall had 12 doors, one for each month of the year and 52 windows, one for each week of the year, and there used to be 365 panes of glass in total. However, now there are 53 windows, each with eight individual panes of glass.
Guild symbols of former local artisans can be seen in relief form on the outside of the town hall above the ground floor windows. Another eye-catching element is the large sundial, which was added to the building in 1724. Since then the building has been used as the town hall and today houses the mayor’s office, the town council and the registry office. Regular public events and temporary exhibitions are also held here.
Right in front of the town hall is the Thomas Müntzer monument. It was created in 1989 by Klaus Messerschmidt to commemorate the 500th birthday of the Reformer. The four pillars are moulded from statues of saints that survived a fire in Müntzer’s birth-house in 1851.