The village of Ruischerbrug is squeezed between the two canals the Eemskanaal and the Damsterdiep. The village is not only located between these two canals, but also between two different districts of the city. No wonder Ruischerbrug is just 500 metres wide. The Borgbrug is the only way to enter and leave the village by car. The adjacent Eemskanaal connects the city of Groningen with Delfzijl and was constructed between 1866 and 1876. The canal functions both as a shipping artery and a means of discharging excess water from the northern provinces. The Eemskanaal actually replaces the much older Damsterdiep. The Damsterdiep canal is not used anymore for industrial shipping, but for recreational purposes, both summer and winter. The section of the Damsterdiep between Ten Post and Delfzijl was first excavated more than 1000 years ago. At that time the canal had an open connection to the sea and thus started to meander. The section between Ten Post and Groningen is straighter and was excavated around 1425.
Arrival by train, car, foot or bike
Nearby Points of Interest
These suggestions were created automatically.
Questions & answers
Pose the first question
You have a question concerning this content? Here is the right place to ask it.