Glimmen is located right on the edge of the National brooks and farming villages nature area of the 'DrentscheAa' river. This small river meanders past the village and the HuisteGlimmen (House at Glimmen). This magnificent estate is located on the site of a castle that was destroyed in 1226. The estate has several farms, a carriage house and a stables, all of which are now privately owned. The Quintus woods from 1824 are named after the inhabitant of that time, notary public Esquire R.A. Quintus.East of the village are the Appèlbergen, with swamps, small lakes and a sand drift. Because of the more elevated dry lands of the Hondsrug, hunter-gatherers roamed here 50,000 years or so ago. The so-called Hunebedbouwers people (3500 BC) left their traces; in 1969 remains of two megalithic graves ('hunebedden') were found.In the early Middle Ages farmers established themselves in the area. Fertile common grazing lands for agriculture and the DrentscheAa filled with fish and surrounded by meadows made the area very suitable for permanent habitation. An old 'motorway' of the era, the HogeHereweg, runs through the Appèlbergen area.The Appèlbergen also played an important role in recent history. Between 20 and 30 people were executed and buried here by the Germans in the Second World War.Near the village of Glimmen is the 'De Witte Molen' polder mill, dating from 1892. South of the village are the grounds of the North-Netherlands Golf & Country Club.