The structure near Rudolphstein is a former fortress and it belonged to the lords of Hirschberg at the beginning of the 14th century.
They donated and sold the building with all its possessions to Waldsassen monastery in January 1346. However, the monastery transferred the fortress to the Burgraves of Nuremberg just over a year later. The Reeves of Gera owned the building in about 1500. Heinrich XIV von Gera zu Schleiz (1500-1538) bestowed it on the von Dobeneck zu Jössnitz brothers in 1501. Rudolphstein now welcomes people as an attractive hotel. A gabled roof covers a collection of structural elements dating from very different periods. The self-contained eastern wing, which takes the form of a semi-circle and looks rather like a bastion, probably dates back to the 15th century, while the western part and tower are from the 16th/17th century; a three-storey extension was added in the 20th century. The complex also includes a hunting house, stables for visiting horses (18th century), a dance house and a dovecote (19th century).
Rudolphstein can be reached with the regional bus No. 6342. Information on how to get here by bus and train can be found at www.bahn.de or www.ostbayernbus.de
Rudolphstein is located directly on the A 9 Nuremberg-Berlin motorway on the border between the Free State of Bavaria and Thuringia, and has its own exit here.