A plaque commemorating Goethe’s visit hangs from the house and on the next building another sign pokes fun at the commemorative plaque, touting that “Goethe puked here”. This is thought to refer not to the physical act but to the somewhat unkind words Goethe had to say about Tübingen.
The House of the Nuns dates back to the second half of the 15th century and owes its name to the Beguine or hermit women, who lived here in a fellowship similar to nuns and devoted their lives to charity.
The university prison in the Münzgasse 20, with its two barrel-vaulted rooms, is the oldest preserved campus prison in Germany. From 1515 until the construction of the Neue Aula (New Assembly Hall) in 1845, it served as the prison for the “cives academici” or the academic citizens.
The Crooked Bridge was named after the first wooden bridge at the sight, which was of course crooked. The bridge was first mentioned in writing in 1398. It leads over the Ammer canal, which serves as the border between the upper and lower city.